Saturday, September 15, 2012

San Agustín: a mystery made ​​of stone.

San Agustín Archeological Park  (Google Images
I have visited four times the San Agustin Archaeological Park, but I never get tired to do it. The first time that I was in this historical place I was still very young, actually I was not yet born because my mom was seven months pregnant, therefore I only keep memories of this experience by photos. The last three visits have been unique experiences because in each one of these I have been able to increase my knowledge and perspective about this millennial aboriginal culture, its history, its beliefs and its stone legate.



"Forest of statues"
San Agustín Archeological Park  (Google Images)
Among all my trips to San Agustín I could know different representative places of this archeological park like the Lavapatas fountain - a sacred site for religious ceremonies and ritual baths-, the Height of Lavapatas, the forest of statues, the archeological Museum and the mesitas -small hills made by man-.


The journey around the park is really an indescribable experience because of the funereal and sacred meaning of the place. For me the most amazing of San Agustin is the quality and perfection of the megalithic sculptures and their animal and human features (representations). Because of its important historical and artistic value The San Agustin's Archeological Park was declared by UNESCO Historical and Cultural Heritage of Humanity in 1995.

San Agustín Archeological Park  (Google Images)
Likewise, I have had the opportunity to visit the parks Alto de los ídolos and Alto de las Piedras; both are located in San José de Isnos Municipality, and they are part from the Archeological discovery of San Agustín. Another place near to San Agustin that I remember to have known was the Magdalena strait, a natural rocky zone where this great Colombian river reduces to only two meters wide. 

No comments:

Post a Comment