Saturday, September 15, 2012

Neiva: a city full of joy


Overview of Neiva (Google Images)
With pride I can tell you that I was born in the Bambuco Capital of America: Neiva, a beautiful city located on the bank of Magdalena River. Although all my life I have lived in different places to Neiva in the Huila department, always I have kept up a special nearness with my natal city, because I usually visit this place to meet with my family for the vacations and holidays.


The best time to visit Neiva is for the San Peter festivals in June month, because the entire city gets dressed of happiness and folklore. In the different neighborhoods, schools, high schools, universities and companies of the city are realized diverse culture activities to evoke the meaning of these festivals. For me, the most showy and wonderfully is to observe how the different  generations join to the big celebration, specially  children, with their typical dresses, dancing and singing bambucos, rajaleñas, guabinas, torbellinos and the famous sanjuanero.
 
Girls on parade (Google images)
The dozens of folk parades that go across the streets, fill the city with color, dance and music, a show worthy of appreciate. Likewise, there are different possibilities of cultural enrichment in Neiva during this time, like the national meeting of artisans; the departmental, national and international exhibitions of folk dances; the departmental meeting of wind bands; the children's and youth Rajaleñas contest; the  Huila’s composers meeting; and more.

The Colonial Building (Google images)
At night, joy moves to the clubs and bars of Neiva, spectacular places to enjoy with friends and family, and to meet new people. Believe me, if Neiva is hot during the day, at night you cannot imagine.

My great Neiva is a welcoming land; it's the place that brings together people from all parts of the department, from Colombia and from the world, around a single manifestation of culture and tradition. 







No comments:

Post a Comment